1. Respecting your privacy
Silver Hire Car Service is committed to compliance with privacy laws which apply to its business and which set out standards for the management of personal information, including the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
This policy outlines our personal information management practices for all aspects of our business in Australia including from our relationships with customers, drivers, operators, users of our services and others who may contact us or about whom we may be provided with personal information.
Specifically, this policy outlines:
- the kinds of personal information we collect and hold;
- how we collect and hold it;
- the purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose it;
- your right to access and seek correction of it;
- how you can contact us to discuss/complain about a privacy issue.
2. What kinds of personal information do we collect and hold?
The personal information we collect and hold is what is reasonably necessary for our business functions and activities. When we collect and hold personal information, it is of the following kinds:
- your personal details such as your name, addresses (including email addresses and website addresses), telephone numbers and the same details of the person for whom you are making a booking.
- A confirmation# number which we allocate to you when engaged in services which we provide or services procured or booked using our services;
- what, how, when and where you have engaged in services which we provide or services procured or booked using our services;
- details about your stated or likely preferences and your experiences with services which we provide or services procured or booked using our services;
- details about your membership in any loyalty programs;
- whether you have a connection with others whose personal information we may collect or hold, for example family members;
- if you use social media or a mobile device to interact with us, any information that you allow the social media site or device to share with us; and
- depending on the nature of your dealings with us or the services which we provide to you or which you may obtain or make available to others using our services, other types of personal information. Examples are:
- where you are involved in providing transport-related services, identification, taxation, government or regulatory identifier (such as drivers licence details), and vehicle and insurance details;
- personal information relating to any complaints you make or are made about you, including recording of any calls in that regard;
- personal information collected and held via financial or payment systems about the payment mechanism or method that you might use (including credit card details) and the payments you may make for our services or any services procured or booked using our services; and
3. How do we collect and hold personal information?
When we collect personal information about you, we do so by making a record of it. We do this when:
- you communicate with us online;
- you take part in our promotions, competitions, testimonials, surveys and focus groups; and
- you deal with us in other ways involving a need for personal information to be provided such as when you contact our call centre, fill in a form, log into our website or application or make a complaint. We may record all calls and so collect any personal information provided during such calls.
When you visit our electronic sites, such as websites or applications, we may also collect information about you using technology which is not apparent to you, for example using “cookies” and other similar technologies. There is information available about how cookies work and how to change your browser’s cookie preferences. For example, see
Most of the personal information we collect and hold about you is from your direct dealings with us, for example information you tell us or information we learn directly from your dealing with us or our partners, e.g. through “cookies”.
We may sometimes collect your personal information other than from you directly. For example,
- from other suppliers who, in common with us, have a relationship with you or have information about you;
- from those to whom we have given access to our online sites (such as through application programming interfaces);
- from those we regard as our business partners, our other customers or our driver partners;
- from publicly available information and from third party ratings and feedback.
Our contractors and service providers who perform services for us, such as payment processing, fraud management, marketing, data analytics and identity verification and background checks may also provide us information about you.
Personal information we hold is generally stored in servers and other computer systems. These may be operated by us or by our service providers. In all cases, we have information security requirements aimed at minimising risks of unauthorised access to, and loss, misuse or wrongful alteration of, personal information.
4. Why do we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
When we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information, we do so primarily in connection with the provision, sale and promotion of goods and services which we provide or are provided or procured using our services and to improve on and enhance the range of those services and offerings.
For example, we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information:
- in connection with transport-related services by:
- providing customer’s and driver’s personal information to each other in connection with the arrangement of specific transport-related services and to facilitate communications between drivers and customers;
- facilitating the search of any missing property which may have been left behind by a customer in a driver partner’s vehicle or assisting with any police or regulatory enquiries;
- to process and facilitate your payment for goods and services, including as required by law;
- for direct marketing (see question 5 below);
- for verification of your identity;
- to develop insights about you or to personalise your offerings or experience in using our services or services of our third party business partners, including drivers or to assist our service providers and third parties to conduct data analytics;
- for research and development or to improve goods and services, for example in connection with safety and security and preventing fraud;
- where you are involved in providing transport-related services, for criminal history and background checks (including verification of health information) and other manual processing checks regarding the verification of drivers and vehicles;
- to assist in dispute resolution, investigating complaints and in enquiries and support;
- as required or permitted by law, court order and any government, law enforcement or other regulatory body.
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for other purposes which are within reasonable expectations (these may relate, for example to acting on your requests; our involvement in relationships between customers, drivers and third party suppliers of goods or services to you) or legal reasons (for example where permitted by law).
5. Direct marketing
We may also collect, use and disclose your personal information to supply, advertise and promote goods and services which may be of interest to you, including through email, SMS, post, phone and also targeted and online marketing and advertising. This includes the products and services of our suppliers and other third parties who offer products and services that may be of interest to you.
We may disclose your personal information to these third parties and their and our marketing, promotions and advertising service providers for this purpose and you consent to receiving these types of direct marketing and commercial electronic messages. You may opt out of our direct marketing to you (and our direct marketing materials will tell you how to do this).
6. How can you enquire about, access and correct your personal information?
We will provide you with access to any of your personal information we hold (except in limited circumstances permitted by law). If you wish to access your personal information or have an enquiry about your privacy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can address your queries to the Office Manager. Before we provide you with access to your personal information we may require some proof of identity. We may charge a reasonable fee for giving access to your personal information if your request requires substantial effort on our part. If you need to correct your personal information, please contact us.
7. How can you complain about our management of personal information?
If you wish to complain about a breach of the privacy rules that bind us, you may contact us by phone or email. We may ask you to put your complaint in writing and to provide details about it. We may discuss your complaint with our personnel and our service providers and others as appropriate. We will investigate the matter and attempt to resolve it in a timely way. We will inform you in writing about the outcome of the investigation. If we do not resolve your complaint to your satisfaction and no other complaint resolution procedures are agreed or required by law, we will inform you that your complaint may be referred to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner for further investigation and will provide you with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s contact details.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We take reasonable steps to prevent the personal information we hold about you from misuse, interference or loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This includes the use of technologies and processes such as access control procedures, network firewalls, encryption and physical security to protect the privacy of your personal information. However, to the maximum extent permitted by law, we exclude and limit our liability to you in respect of any breach of security or misuse, interference or loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of your personal information.
10. Other privacy terms and limits of this policy
This is a policy. There may be additional privacy notices and terms relevant to you depending on the nature of your dealings with us and on our particular businesses.
11. More information
Silver Hire car Service
ABN 71 879 117 504
Current as of: 9 September 2020.